Program Checklist & Requirements
The program checklist can be used to keep track of prerequisites and your progress toward completing the requirements of the minor.
Prerequisites to Declare the Minor
First, you must have already declared a major in another field. Students must have a minimum 2.000 GPA for all psychology courses taken and have earned at least a C in each of the following three courses (in any order, including concurrently):
- PSYC-2005, Research Methods & Data Analysis I
- Two 2000-level PSYC courses
- These may come any of the four “pillars” specified for the major, even from the same pillar.
- PSYC-1010 (Introductory Psychology), or equivalent (transfer or AP 3 or IB high-level 3, or standard-level 5), can substitute for one of the 2000-level pre-requisites, but does not contribute credits to the minor.
Students must complete 18 credits at the 2000-level or higher, distributed as follows:
- PSYC-2005, Research Methods & Data Analysis I (3)
- Two courses at 2000-level (6)
- One course at 2000-level or higher level (3)
- Two courses at 3000-level or higher (6)
- These courses do not count toward the minor: Research in Psychology (PSYC 3590), Advanced Research in Psychology, Directed Readings in Psychology, PSYC Internship.
- A grade of C or better is required in all Psychology classes that count toward the minor.
- A 2.000 GPA in all Psychology classes is required to complete the minor.
- Students receiving grades of “C minus” or lower in three psychology courses and who have less than a 2.0 GPA in all psychology classes will not be permitted to continue in the minor.
Old Requirements (Expected Graduation 2021)
Ready to Declare the Minor? Follow these Steps
This process will be conducted electronically via Docusign.
STEP 1: Join the Collab site and group(s)
- Join the Collab site “Psych Majors/Minors”.
- On the Collab site, add yourself to the appropriate group for your expected graduation year. View this tutorial on how to add yourself to a group.
- On the Collab site, if you identify with an underrepresented group in academic psychology (for example, historically underrepresented racial or ethnic group, first-generation college students, economically-disadvantaged background) and would like to receive information about targeted opportunities for such students, add yourself to the “Underrepresented Group” for your graduation year. View this tutorial on how to add yourself to a group.
- On the Collab site, complete the “Major/Minor Declaration (or deferral) Questions” Collab>Psych Majors/Minors>Tests & Quizzes
STEP 2: Complete your Psychology Course Plan
- Open and complete the psychology course plan form:
- Download and review your unofficial transcript from SIS to assist in completing the course plan form.
- Start by filling in any courses you have already completed.
- Fill in the other courses that you would like* to take to satisfy all minor requirements. *The courses you list are simply your “best guesses” about the courses you will likely take; these guesses are not binding and courses can be rearranged or substituted as necessary or desired in the future.
- When finished, save your course form and your SIS unofficial transcripts as PDF documents. You will eventually attach these forms to the Docusign Minor Form. Please title your filenames with your Last and First name, for example,
STEP 3: Read the Docusign Form instructions
- Begin the Docusign Form process by reading the following instructions:
- In the "Powerform Signer Information" section (see sample image below) you will enter your name and email, and then you will enter the Declaration of Major Contact for Psychology:
- Name: Lisa Ishler
- Email: [email protected]
- Once you have entered the name and email for yourself and the Declaration of Major Contact, click "Begin Signing" at the bottom of the PowerForm. This will lead you to the actual Major/Minor form. You will complete the required fields on the docusign form (see sample form below). Continue reading for tips on how to complete this form for Psychology.
Docusign Intended Major/Minor: list "PSYCHOLOGY MINOR"
- Docusign Course List: You do not have to fill this part out with an advisor as it states on the form, because you will attach your psychology course plan instead. Add a filler course so the form will allow you to submit it: “PSYC | 0000| Title: See Attached Course Plan | 18 Credits"
- Complete any other required Docusign fields, and then add the 2 required attachments:
- Psychology Minor Course Plan (pdf)
- SIS Unofficial Transcript (pdf)
- Then click the "Finish" button. The forms will be routed to the Undergraduate Coordinator for Psychology for review. You will be contacted via email if anything else is needed.
Sample Docusign Form
STEP 4. Start the Docusign Process
DECLARE THE MINOR DOCUSIGN FORM
You can access the form by going to the College web page here: https://college.as.virginia.edu/forms - scroll down to the "Declaration of Major and Minor Form (DocuSign)". Regarding the Docusign Course List: You do not have to fill this part out with an advisor as it states on the form, because you will attach your psychology course plan instead. Add a filler course so the form will allow you to submit it: “PSYC | 0000| Title: See Attached Course Plan | 18 Credits"
Include your 2 attachments when you submit your Docusign form:
- Minor Course Plan (pdf) &
- Unofficial Transcript (pdf)
Make sure to designate the Declaration of Major Contact (DMC) as:
- Lisa Ishler
- [email protected]
STEP 5. Check SIS after 30 days to ensure your minor form was processed
During April and May, our office is busy with graduation processes and conferences. We will try to process your form as soon as possible, however, this may cause some delays in processing your form compared to other times of the year. After 30 days of submitting your form, your minor should show up in SIS. If 30 days have passed, and you are not notified via docusign that your form has been processed and you have checked SIS and don't see your minor, please email me to let me know, so I can ensure that I received your form. Click here to let me know: It's been 30 days, I checked sis and my major program and new advisor is not showing up. Normally, forms are processed soon after turning them in, however, our office will be occupied with the Reid Conference and graduation planning during April and May so we are prioritizing these activities currently. Thank you for your patience.
Contact the Undergraduate Coordinator, Lisa Isher
There are a variety of ways to get answers to your questions: Open Office Hours, Telephone, Email, and Online Video Advising via Zoom. Please choose the method that works best for you:
Open Office Hours - No appointment needed (434) 982-4981: Call me during open office hours weekdays between 2pm-4pm. If I am not available, please leave a message with your name and number and I will return your call as soon as possible. I look forward to answering your quesions.
Telephone: (434) 982-4981 The fastest way to reach me is by giving me a call during business hours. If I am not available, please leave a message with your name and number and I will return your call as soon as possible.
Email: [email protected] for questions and advising.
Zoom Video Advising: Appointments are available weekdays during regular business hours. Request a Zoom appointment.
If these times or methods don't work for your schedule, we can arrange something different. Please email me to make an appointment. I look forward to hearing from you.