Application Form and Admission Process
UVA/Psychology Department Admissions Process
To apply for admission to the graduate program in Psychology, you should:
- Using UVA’s on-line application, submit the application, and statement of purpose. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically by your recommenders once you have saved their contact information in your on-line application.
- Starting with the applications for Fall 2021 admissions, the UVA Psychology PhD Programs do not require the general or the subject GRE scores. WE WILL NOT BE COLLECTING ANY INFORMATION RELATED TO GRE EXAM SCORES ON THE APPLICATION. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT GRE SCORES TO UVA FOR OUR PROGRAM.
- If your first language is not English, the TOEFL test is required. Record your score on your online application. Official scores are not required at the time of application, but if admitted as a student, you will need to arrange to have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your scores directly to UVA using the UVA ETS code number B875. Required TOEFL score is 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 90 (internet-based). TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date. If you have or will have received an undergraduate degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, you do not need to submit the TOEFL.
- Upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) to your on-line application. If you are admitted to our program, you will be asked to provide official transcripts at that time.
- $85 nonrefundable application processing fee paid with credit card. It is recognized that application fees can become prohibitively expensive and can be waived in special circumstances. If you are interested in applying for a fee waiver, please see https://graddiversity.virginia.edu/application-fee-waiver. NOTE: Fee waivers may be requested beginning on October 1 and must be requested no less than one week before the program application deadline of December 1 at 5 p.m. for the December 1 application deadline.
- Additional optional supporting documents other than listed above (i.e., writing sample, resume) should be attached to your on-line application. If the on-line application will not allow you to upload the documents, you may send them via US mail to Debbie Snow, Department of Psychology, P.O. Box 400400, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904.
- Checking the status of your application or checking that all documents have been received by UVA can be done by logging back into your online application.
ON-LINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1
If you should have any questions about the admissions process, please feel free to contact Ms. Debbie Snow, the Psychology Department Admissions Administrative Assistant at (434) 243-7635. If you should have questions about the application function, please contact UVA’s Graduate Admission Office.
Applicants for admission will not be excluded on the basis of race, ethnic origin, sex, age, religion, or physical handicap.