Application Form and Admission Process
UVA/Psychology Department Admissions Process
To apply for admission to the graduate program in Psychology, you should:
- Using UVA’s on-line application, submit the application, and personal statement. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically by your recommenders once you have saved their contact information in your on-line application.
- Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Aptitude tests and record your scores on your online application. Official scores are not required at the time of application, but if admitted as a student, you will need to arrange to have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your scores directly to UVA using the UVA ETS code number 5820. If you take the GRE test multiple times, UVA will use the highest score for each section.
- If your first language is not English, the TOEFL test is required. Record your score on your online application. Official scores are not required at the time of application, but if admitted as a student, you will need to arrange to have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your scores directly to UVA using the UVA ETS code number 5820. Required TOEFL score is 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 90 (internet-based). TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date. If you have or will have received an undergraduate degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, you do not need to submit the TOEFL.
- Upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) to your on-line application. If you are admitted to our program, you will be asked to provide official transcripts at that time.
- $85 nonrefundable application processing fee paid with credit card. It is recognized that application fees can become prohibitively expensive and can be waived in special circumstances. If you are interested in applying for a fee waiver, please see https://graddiversity.virginia.edu/application-fee-waiver. NOTE: Fee waivers may be requested beginning on September 1. The DEADLINE for submitting a request for a fee waiver is December 11 at 5 p.m. for the December 1 application deadline.
- Additional optional supporting documents other than listed above (i.e., writing sample, resume) should be attached to your on-line application. If the on-line application will not allow you to upload the documents, you may send them via US mail to Debbie Snow, Department of Psychology, P.O. Box 400400, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904.
- Checking the status of your application or checking that all documents have been received by UVA can be done by logging back into your online application.
ON-LINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 1
If you should have any questions about the admissions process, please feel free to contact Ms. Debbie Snow, the Psychology Department Admissions Administrative Assistant at (434) 243-7635. If you should have questions about the application function, please contact UVA’s Graduate Admission Office.
Applicants for admission will not be excluded on the basis of race, ethnic origin, sex, age, religion, or physical handicap.