Charlotte J. Patterson
Professor of Psychology and Women, Gender & Sexuality
312 Gilmer Hall
By Appointment Only
Charlotte J. Patterson is a Professor in the UVA Department of Psychology and in the Center for Children, Families, and the Law, and is Director of UVA’s interdisciplinary program, Women, Gender, and Sexuality (WGS). Her research focuses on the psychology of sexual orientation, with an emphasis on sexual orientation, human development, and family lives. In the context of her research, Patterson has worked with children, adolescents, couples, and families; she is best known for her studies of child development in the context of lesbian- and gay-parented families.
- C. J. Patterson & A. R. D’Augelli (Eds.) (2013). Handbook of psychology and sexual orientation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Riskind, R., & Patterson, C. J. (2010). Parenting intentions and desires among childless lesbian, gay, and heterosexual individuals. Journal of Family Psychology, 24, 78 - 81.
- Farr, R. H., Forssell, S. L., & Patterson, C. J. (2010). Parenting and child development in adoptive families: Does parental sexual orientation matter? Applied Developmental Science, 14, 164 - 178.
- Tornello, S. L., Farr, R. H., & Patterson, C. J. (2011). Predictors of parenting stress among gay fathers. Journal of Family Psychology, 25, 591 – 600.
- Patterson, C. J. (2013). Sexual Orientation and Family Lives. In G. W. Peterson and K. R. Bush (Eds.), Handbook of Marriage and the Family. New York: Springer.
- Farr, R. H., & Patterson, C. J. (2013). Coparenting among lesbian, gay, and heterosexual couples: Associations with adopted children’s outcomes. Child Development, 84, 1226-1240.
- Tornello, S. L., Riskind, R. G., & Patterson, C. J. (2014). Sexual orientation and sexual and reproductive health among adolescent young women in the United States. Journal of Adolescent Health, 54,160 – 168.
- Riskind, R. G., Tornello, S. L., Younger, B. C., & Patterson, C. J. (2014). Sexual identity, partner sex, and sexual health among adolescent girls in the United States. American Journal of Public Health, 104, 1957 – 1963.
- Patterson, C. J., Farr, R. H., & Hastings, P. D. (2015). Socialization in the context of family diversity. In J. Grusec, & P. D. Hastings, Handbook of Socialization (2nd edition). New York: Guilford Press.
- Blanchfield, B. V., & Patterson, C. J. (2015). Racial and sexual minority women’s receipt of medical assistance to become pregnant. Health Psychology, 34, 571 – 579.
- Tornello, S.L., Sonnenberg, B., & Patterson, C. J. (2015). Division of Labor Among Gay Fathers: Associations with Parent, Couple, and Child Adjustment" Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, 2, 365 - 375.