Bethany A. Teachman
207 Gilmer Hall
The Program for Anxiety, Cognition and Treatment (PACT) lab studies cognitive processes that contribute to the development and maintenance of psychopathology, particularly anxiety disorders. We are especially interested in automatic cognitive processing, and trying to understand how thoughts that occur outside of our awareness or conscious control contribute to emotional dysregulation.
Recent Selected Publications
- Cody, M. W., & Teachman, B. A. (in press). Global and local evaluations of public speaking performance in social anxiety. Behavior Therapy. doi: 10.1016/j.beth.2011.01.004
- Lindgren, K. P., Neighbors, C., Teachman, B. A., Wiers, R., Westgate, E., & Greenwald, A. G. (in press). Validating alcohol-related Implicit Association Tests: Implicit drinking identity predicts most consistently. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Steinman, S. A., Smyth, F. L., Bucks, R., MacLeod, C., & Teachman, B. A. (in press). Anxiety-linked expectancy bias across the adult lifespan. Cognition and Emotion.
- Magee, J. C., Harden, K. P., & Teachman, B. A. (2012). Psychopathology and thought suppression: A quantitative review. Clinical Psychology Review, 32, 189-201.
- Magee, J. C., & Teachman, B. A. (2012). Distress and recurrence of intrusive thoughts in younger and older adults. Psychology and Aging, 27, 199-210.
- Teachman, B. A., Joormann, J., Steinman, S. A., & Gotlib, I. H. (2012). Automaticity in anxiety disorders and major depressive disorder. Clinical Psychology Review, 32, 575-603.
- Clerkin, E. M., & Teachman, B. A. (2011). Training interpretation biases among individuals with symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 42, 337-343. doi: 10.1016/j.jbtep.2011.01.00
- Clerkin, E. M., & Teachman, B. A. (2010). Training implicit social anxiety associations: An experimental intervention. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 24, 300-308. doi: 10.1016/j.janxdis.2010.01.001
- Steinman, S. A. & Teachman, B. A. (2010). Modifying interpretations among individuals high in anxiety sensitivity. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 24, 71-78. doi: 10.1016/j.janxdis.2009.08.008
- American Psychological Association (APA) Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychology (in the area of psychopathology), 2012
- Programmatic Distinguished Visitor, University of Western Australia, 2011-2014
- International Max Planck Research School “The Life Course: Evolutionary and Ontogenetic Dynamics (LIFE)” Invited Faculty, 2010-present
- Outstanding Professor Award, University of Virginia, Psychology Department, 2008
- Early Career Award from the Anxiety SIG for the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, 2007